Tuesday, November 11, 2003

Random Thoughts and Leaps of Logic

So I was sitting in stats yesterday, and was getting exactly what Laura (stats prof.) was talking about. Thanks to countless hours of listening to the Grateful Dead and other various and saundry jam bands, I tend to hear tunes in my head when I start getting concepts. Since this was Monday, I didn't have anything energetic on, just a really heavy, Phil Lesh bass bombed version of Dark Star running through my head. So that got me to thinking about philzone a little bit, and about a knock-knock joke I saw on there...goes like this...

Knock, knock
Who's there?
Banana
Banana who?
Banana na Banana na...(opening notes to Dark Star)

So, as with all knock knock jokes, I thought it was lame, but still novel, you know like those gift catalogues from Radio Shack that you get just because you bought a 1/8" headphone jack splitter from them back in 1986. Gotta love those guys, but seriously, it's getting a little old...I don't even know if there is a Radio Shack in College Station. I guess there has to be though. Anyway back to the joke. I started thinking about how kids around 7 to 9 take things to their absurd end. Like how a kid can make 500 iterations of some knock knock joke and absolutely none of them are funny or even make that much sense.

It was at that point that I started snickering in class. I sit toward the front of the class, and at this point, Laura's back was to me. I think she thought I was laughing at her; she's paranoid like that. I assured her that it had nothing to do with the class or her but rather that I was laughing about, "kids and knock knock jokes".

It got me to thinking though, How do we come up with this stuff. Why do some people's minds wander this way. It doesn't necessarily mean that we were bored because I was totally into the stats lesson for the day, but I just think it's cool how loose connections can create some of the most bizzare situations. It's something I'd like to investigate more as I get deeper into this psychology game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home