Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Post-ACL Fest Wrap Up

WOW! What a great festival! There was a really kind vibe emanating from Austin this weekend. I know that I was in Austin just a couple of weeks ago, but man, I need the release from College Station's downright un-kind nature. Thanks to Ash for providing a ride to and from Austin. Thanks to Dave, Commie Ryan, T, and Walt for good conversation and general camaraderie for the weekend.

Anyway, here's what I saw...

Friday

The Slip, Marc Broussard, Sloan, Particle, Gomez

We got to the festival around 2pm. I managed to get to the front of the stage for Particle. Some reporter took my picture and asked for my name and where I came from. Don't know if I was photogenic enough to make it to the newspaper, but I had a great time at that set. I got to shake hands with Steve (keyboards/synth) and Eric (bass). They were happy to hear that they're getting some airtime on the radio, even if it was in the heart of darkness known as College Station/Bryan. Well, to Bryan's credit, it's actually a little kinder than CS.

Thanks to Walt for letting us wash up at his place.

Saturday

Cat Power, New Monsoon, Endochine, Holmes Brothers, The Wailers, Trey Anastasio Band

Geezus H. Christ on a Pogo Stick! It was HOT! The wind and my gallon jug of water warded off the potential for passing out. I got fairly close for the Wailers. During Rockfort Rock, I was dancing my ass off when all of the sudden who should appear out of the mass of humanity than my very own Grad Advisor! Well, she knew I was going to be here (and vice versa), but we're talking about a 1 in 40 to 50 thousand chance of meeting up. You see, there was a last minute switch between G. Love & The Special Sauce (what she wanted to see) and The Wailers (what I wanted to see). Heather hadn't gotten that news, so she was in the crowd anticipating G. Love. Anyway, she ended up coming back for Trey Anastasio Band's first set. We talked about everything from school to politics between the Wailers and Trey.

Once again, the nod to Walt for opening up his shower to us. After showering, we went over to the Magnolia Cafe for a much needed meal before heading back to camp.

Sunday

Mofro, Papa Mali, Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra, Drive-By Truckers, Medeski, Martin, & Wood

A great day. My biggest conflict was between Mofro and Calexico. This was soon dissipated when I heard Calexico playing my favorite song of theirs as we entered the grounds. Mofro was great. I met Ian from Drop Trio (a Houston band with a MM&W influence). He told me that they're opening for Mofro in Houston in November, so I'm thinking about going to that show.

The performers for the weekend seemed like they were trying to be politically neutral because they were in Texas, but if you took a look around, the Kerry-Edwards/Anti-Bush group was out in full force. I saw multiple instances of Kerry-Edwards and Anti-Bush paraphernalia, but only a couple Pro-Bush t-shirts. We are energized, but I digress. Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra was an exception to this rule. They got the rabble roused and yellin'! It was a beautiful thing.

Before the Medeski, Martin, & Wood set, I ran into 2 other radio people. One lady was working (unfortunately) for Clear Channel in Houston, and the guy was working for an independent AM station in Ohio. We talked a little about media ownership and how it's ruining the music. The Clear Channel Lady said that she had to fight tooth and claw to keep her late night slot from the clutches of automation.

Ash and I ended up getting back to College Station around Midnight. Ah Monday...Why did you have to come? Coming back to College Station from that music utopia was a really difficult task. The world just seemed a little duller yesterday. I'm not just talking about the vividness of colors and people, but also the sounds, touch, smells, all of the sensations we were designed with just seemed muted. Going back to a place that just doesn't get it. They just don't get it...

Like Ken Kesey said, "We ain't many. There will always be more dumb people than smart people, and we ain't many."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home